Seattle Child Custody Lawyers
How to Get Custody in Washington
Many parents come to our Law Offices asking the same question: How do I get custody of my kids? As our lawyers have seen, there are many factors that go into the court’s decision about child custody. Having worked in many child custody cases across Washington, our attorneys are very aware of what goes into the court’s decision.
The easiest way to get custody of your children is for you and the other parent to come to an agreement on your own terms. Being able to amicably resolve child custody issues is an ideal situation for any family and chances are you will have the best chance at getting what you want in a situation like this. An open discussion between you and the other parent will hopefully facilitate a custody agreement that will suit everyone, including yourself. As your Seattle child custody lawyer will tell you, custody issues are almost never resolved without a fair amount of compromise on the part of both parties. If there is any chance that you and the other parent can come to an agreement on your own without having to involve the courts, we highly advise you do so.
When a couple involved in a child custody dispute is unable to come to a decision on their own, court interference will become necessary. In this case, the following items will be considered by court as they try to decide which parent should be awarded custody:
- Familiarity and care of each parent so far in the child’s life.
- The children’s temperaments and wishes.
- The parent’s true desire to be the custodial parent (ulterior motives will be considered).
- The parent’s schedules, careers, and daily demands.
- The parent’s energy and health to take care of the children.
- Stable personality and over all moral character of each parent.
- The children’s gender.
- Financial abilities of the parents.
- The stability of the parent’s daily routines.
- The quality of the schools in each parent’s district.
Contact a Seattle Child Custody Attorney today to find out how you can get custody of your children!